$14K fine after police chase, court house assault

BEING inside a court house did not stop a woman from assaulting her ex-partner.

The 21-year-old woman walked up and poured her drink all over him before punching him in the head.

She pleaded guilty to domestic violence breach assault charge and wilful damage in Murgon Magistrates Court on February 5.

While appearing for these offences, she also pleaded guilty to another assault charge, as well as serious driving offences with fines totalling more than $14,000.

Police prosecutor Pepe Gangemi said the incident occurred when the woman was at the Kingaroy Magistrates Court at 9.45am on Monday December 10.

The court heard she had approached the aggrieved who was seated in the upstairs foyer.

"She poured a milk drink over him, causing stains to the chairs and carpet area," Sgt Gangemi said.

"There was some physical activity by the way of a punch to the aggrieved's head."

Defence lawyer Chris Campbell said the woman was still young.

"She had quite a nasty breakup with her ex-partner, that relationship was extremely dysfunctional with a lot of violence in it," he said.

Mr Campbell said prior to the events the woman had a miscarriage and had gone to visit her mother in Caboolture for comfort.

The young woman also pleaded guilty to an assault occasioning bodily harm.

Sgt Gangemi said she had punched a 24-year-old woman on September 2.

"The defendant punched with a closed fist at the victim's cheekbone and nose," he said.


The court also heard the woman had been driving a car on December 19 when it was pulled over by police officers for a standard RBT.

"She drove off after refusing to do the road side testing," Sgt Gangemi said.

Police cars attempted an intercept by positioning themselves behind the defendant who was driving in an 80km/h zone.

"She was going faster than the speed limit and police recorded speeds of up to 130, that's the first attempted intercept," he said.

Sgt Gangemi said police officers attempted another intercept 12 minutes later with lights and sirens.

"The defendant accelerated around three other vehicles and did that to avoid police pursuit," he said.

Mr Campbell said the car she was driving was not the woman's and now she is in debt to her aunt.

Magistrate Ross Woodford said the most serious matter was the domestic violence breach.

"Warning, if you ever, ever commit offences like this again you will go to jail," he said.

For the domestic violence breach she was convicted and sentenced six months imprisonment, which was wholly suspended for an operational period of 18 months.

She was also convicted and fined $400 for the wilful damage and assault.

She was convicted and fined $500 for failing to ensure the vehicle remained where it was asked for the RBT.

The 21-year-old woman pleaded guilty to two counts of failing to stop for police.

She was fined $6,600 for each offence, totalling $13,200.

All up, the woman was fined $14,100.

She also had her licence disqualified for two years for each failing to stop offence, totalling four years.

"Do not drive, you are so close to going to prison," Magistrate Woodford said.

South Burnett

Hartwig ‘relieved and excited’ Pumpkin Festival is a go

Premium Content Hartwig ‘relieved and excited’ Pumpkin Festival is a go

Festival brass last week said the future of this year’s event remained “murky”...

A whole new app experience coming your way

A whole new app experience coming your way

This is moving to a new home for a better digital experience

REVEALED: SBRC battles to slash alarming budget deficit

Premium Content REVEALED: SBRC battles to slash alarming budget deficit

‘Challenging times’: Mayor Brett Otto has expressed concern the South Burnett may...