A young woman suffered burns to her hand after her overheated iPhone 5s caught fire in her bed in Malaysia. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope
A young woman suffered burns to her hand after her overheated iPhone 5s caught fire in her bed in Malaysia. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope

iPhone sets woman’s bed alight

A MALAYSIAN woman has suffered serious burns to her hand after her iPhone overheated and exploded while charging on her bed this week.

Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, 24, told local news site Harian Metro she had left her smartphone on charge on top of her mattress when the incident occurred in the city of Shah Alam, in Western Malaysia.

 

Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, 24, from western Malaysia suffered serious burns to her hand after her iPhone 5s exploded. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope
Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, 24, from western Malaysia suffered serious burns to her hand after her iPhone 5s exploded. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope

While she would normally leave her iPhone 5s to charge on her bedroom floor, Ms Rahman said she had fallen asleep while charging the phone on her bed and woke in the early hours of the morning to extreme pain in her left arm.

"At 4.20am, I woke up from sleep after (feeling heat on my body) and thought it was just a dream," the bank clerk said.

"But when I looked to the left, my hand moved the phone and I could feel that my arm was sore".

She clutched her phone and suddenly realised it was burning hot before jumping out of her bed, which had caught fire.

"I threw my phone at the edge of the bed and turned on the lights before seeing my room had filled with smoke and it looked like it was coming from the mattress," she said.

 

Nur Filzah Abdul Rahm­an shared photos of her injuries on social media following the terrifying incident. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope
Nur Filzah Abdul Rahm­an shared photos of her injuries on social media following the terrifying incident. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope

Sharing photos of her horrific burns and mangled phone to her social media accounts, Ms Rahman said she called her housemates to help extinguish the fire by throwing a bucket of water over the blaze.

She was hospitalised and treated for burns to her hand.


Gayndah teenager bites man’s arm, smashes windscreen

Premium Content Gayndah teenager bites man’s arm, smashes windscreen

A 19-year-old Gayndah man is charged by police after he smashed the windscreen of a...

HIGHLIGHTS: Hornets pile on 40 points in U17 trial match

Premium Content HIGHLIGHTS: Hornets pile on 40 points in U17 trial match

The Cherbourg Hornets hosted the Sunshine Coast Bunyas at Jack O’Chin Oval on...

Citrus industry under threat by Paradise Dam decision

Premium Content Citrus industry under threat by Paradise Dam decision

The Burnett region’s booming citrus industry, worth $183 million, warns a...