Accused DV choker’s second bail application knocked back

A man accused of choking his partner claimed he was at risk of spending too much time in prison when he made a second bail application before Christmas.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was first denied bail on September 30 after being charged with choking, common assault and breaching a domestic violence order.

He made another bail application in Rockhampton Magistrates Court on December 17.

OTHER COURT NEWS:

Crim avoids police to buy kids gifts with welfare payments

Woman punched in head multiple times while in chemist

'I will come back and stab you': Alleged threat to victim

Defence lawyer Felicity Davis said her client intended on pleading not guilty, arguing the alleged victim lacked credibility.

She said there had been a delay in evidence gathering and it was unjust to have the defendant spend anymore time in custody.

Police prosecutor Julie Marsden said at the time of the original application, the representatives for the defendant raised the fact the victim had been in contact and provided copies of text messages.

She said police did have a copy of the text messages but they did not form part of the police's case.

Ms Marsden said the victim's official statement was consistent with what she told police when she made the complaint.

She said there was a video showing some of the abuse and kicking from the incident.

Ms Marsden said three months in custody would not be putting the defendant at risk of serving too much time.

She said he had seven convictions for breaching bail, four convictions for breaching domestic violence orders and had poor compliance with community based court orders.

Ms Davis said her client proposed to live with his parents who were willing to put up a "cash payment" for surety.

Ms Marsden said the defendant was living with his parents at the time of the alleged offending.

She said there were two charges which post dated the offending he sought bail for - another DV breach and a drug charge.

"His offending only stopped when he was taken into custody," Ms Marsden said.

Magistrate Jason Schubert said the allegations were quite serious and included the man choking the victim for 20 seconds.

He denied the man bail and adjourned his matters to January 27.


Helicopter inspections to kick off across Burnett region

Premium Content Helicopter inspections to kick off across Burnett region

Powerlink Queensland will be commencing helicopter inspections in coming months to...

Murgon police investigating fires at skate park, business

Premium Content Murgon police investigating fires at skate park, business

Murgon police are investigating two separate fires deliberately lit in earlier this...

9 THEMES: Community, staff speak up on new hospital plans

Premium Content 9 THEMES: Community, staff speak up on new hospital plans

More than 100 people have submitted feedback regarding the new hospital...