Alf says: Bruce Highway top of worst highways

The Bruce Highway
The Bruce Highway

IF YOU question truck drivers about the worst Australian roads they have driven on, most will mention the Bruce Highway in Queensland.

During 2017, I have asked more than 100 truckies that very question and all but five included the Bruce Highway in their most challenging roads to travel on.

More than half have put the Bruce Highway at the top of their list.

About 75% of those I spoke to were Queensland truckies, with the other 25% from interstate.

In the list of Australia's most dangerous roads released last December, the Bruce Highway section between Mackay and Sarina came in ninth.

I drove the Bruce Highway between Townsville and Proserpine (260km) recently to check it out and found lots of roadworks.

The truckies claimed the roadworks would hold you up about 30 minutes to an hour on that section.

I found they were spot on with stops at different roadworks ranging from a few minutes to 20.

While the truckies are looking forward to the improved safety when the roadworks are complete, they reckon no amount of government money will ever get the route to the standard required.

So extra care while driving is a must to give you the best chance of surviving the drive.

Big Rigs

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

RM Williams tourism project opens

MP Glenn Butcher officially opened the RM Williams Tourism Enhancement Project alongside Mayor Rachel Chambers who welcomed the community.

THE RM Williams Tourism Enhancement Project officially opened.

Artist humbled by spot in Mundubbera's gallery

Local artist Elizabeth Brown with her piece Moonlight at Flagstone Creek, which won best in the Foothills Festival art exhibition.

THE Mundubbera Art Gallery will host a wine and cheese evening.

Doting father remembered while son fights for life

TRAGEDY: Andrew Cole, who was killed in a car crash on the weekend north west of Gympie, coached the Murgon Mustangs rugby league U14 team.

Family devastated by fatal crash west of Gympie

Local Partners