A plot foiled by Australian authorities involved a threat against Anzac Day ceremonies.
A plot foiled by Australian authorities involved a threat against Anzac Day ceremonies. Valerie Horton

Third man arrested over alleged Anzac Day terrorism plot

A THIRD man was arrested overnight and charged with conspiracy to commit acts in preparation for a terrorist attack, the latest arrest since counter-terrorism raids last weekend.

The 18-year-old Hampton Park man was originally detained by Victorian Police without charge on a "preventative detention order", which was removed before police re-arrested him last night.

He was the third of five young men arrested in raids linked to an alleged terrorism plot planned to be executed during Anzac Day commemorations in Melbourne this weekend.

The Hampton Park man will appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court today, after a Hallam man, Sevdet Ramdan Besim, was arrested on Saturday with the same charge alleged.

Besim, also 18 years old, fronted the same court on Saturday and was remanded in custody due to appear again this Friday.

A third 18-year-old man, from Narre Warren, was issued with a summons after the raids and has been scheduled for a court hearing at "a later date", police said in a statement.

Two others, an 18 year old man and a 19 year old man, were released after the raids.

 

Anzac Day terror plot to include running down police

A SECURITY official with knowledge of the police operation to foil an Anzac Day terror attack says the plot involved running a police officer over and then killing him with a knife.

Those behind the plot then planned to take the officer's gun and go on a shooting rampage that would have ended in their deaths, the official told ABC's 7.30.

Australian counter-terrorism officials are investigating links between the most senior Australian with the Islamic State terror group, Neil Prakash, and the group of Melbourne teenagers who were targeted in Saturday's raids.

Twenty-three-year-old Prakash, of Fijian-Indian and Cambodian background, is an Islamic convert and travelled to Syria in early 2013, where he took the nom de guerre Abu Khalid al Cambodi.

He is now the chief recruiter of Australians for IS, filling the void left by the death of Mohammed Ali Baryalei in fighting last year.

Read more at ABC News

 


BUSINESS BOOST: Candidate’s plan to turn words into action

Premium Content BUSINESS BOOST: Candidate’s plan to turn words into action

NANANGO labor candidate Mark Stapleton plans to snap local infrastructure projects...

Man hospitalised after crash into Burnett floodwaters

Premium Content Man hospitalised after crash into Burnett floodwaters

A MAN was transported to hospital following a single-vehicle crash into floodwaters...

Kingaroy teen flees scene after causing three vehicle crash

Premium Content Kingaroy teen flees scene after causing three vehicle crash

A 17-year-old Kingaroy teen was caught by police after causing a multi-vehicle...