Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.
Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.

Batteries thrown in bin spark tip fire

RESIDENTS have been urged not to throw batteries in the bin after two fires broke out at the Ballina tip earlier in the month.

Ballina Shire Council said on September 16, "two fires broke out at the Waste Management Centre caused by batteries in kerbside bins".

The council said to drop off household batteries to the Community Recycling Centre, at the Waste Management Centre (167 Southern Cross Drive) or at one of the Community Recycling Stations at the Ballina Council Customer Service Centre, Alstonville Cultural Centre, Ballina Library and Lennox Cultural Centre.

Battery recycling centres are also located at some supermarkets and Battery World stores.

"Please DO NOT put batteries in your waste or recycling kerbside bins. Battery fires can be dangerous and can cause serious damage and large scale air pollution."


Gayndah teenager bites man’s arm, smashes windscreen

Premium Content Gayndah teenager bites man’s arm, smashes windscreen

A 19-year-old Gayndah man is charged by police after he smashed the windscreen of a...

HIGHLIGHTS: Hornets pile on 40 points in U17 trial match

Premium Content HIGHLIGHTS: Hornets pile on 40 points in U17 trial match

The Cherbourg Hornets hosted the Sunshine Coast Bunyas at Jack O’Chin Oval on...

Citrus industry under threat by Paradise Dam decision

Premium Content Citrus industry under threat by Paradise Dam decision

The Burnett region’s booming citrus industry, worth $183 million, warns a...