Young boy, 11, on bail after citizen’s arrest

A YOUNG boy who was detained in a citizen's arrest by a Wilsonton Heights man has been given a stern reprimand from a magistrate over his behaviour.

The 11-year-old boy is alleged to have been caught on private property in Burgundy St overnight Monday by a man who lives at the house.

He detained the young boy and called police who responded and took him into custody.

The boy appeared in the Toowoomba Children's Court this afternoon on the single charge of break and enter of a dwelling with intent, which his solicitor Chris Lumme said was contested.

Mr Lumme told the court his client admitted to being in the backyard of the property but did not enter the home.

He said the boy had been attempting to recover property in the yard, which police prosecutor Senior Constable Julie Wheaton said was contested.

Police objected to the boy's release and raised concerns about prior offending but Mr Lumme argued the boy would abide by a strict curfew and claims raised in the bail objection were contested.

Mr Lumme said there was no suggestion from police the home owner in question had feared for his safety at any point during the citizen's arrest, and his client had not lashed out at the man at any point.

Magistrate Damian Carroll said the boy had been attending school recently and a Youth Justice representative in court said the young man had been complying with previous conditions imposed by the same court on other matters.

He released the boy on bail on a curfew between 6pm-7am, and adjourned the matter to May 19.


Hartwig ‘relieved and excited’ Pumpkin Festival is a go

Premium Content Hartwig ‘relieved and excited’ Pumpkin Festival is a go

Festival brass last week said the future of this year’s event remained “murky”...

A whole new app experience coming your way

A whole new app experience coming your way

This is moving to a new home for a better digital experience

REVEALED: SBRC battles to slash alarming budget deficit

Premium Content REVEALED: SBRC battles to slash alarming budget deficit

‘Challenging times’: Mayor Brett Otto has expressed concern the South Burnett may...