A SENIOR bureaucrat from the Queensland Education Department has stood down voluntarily during investigations into an IT glitch that stopped reports of suspected child abuse from reaching authorities.
On Thursday, Department of Education and Training's acting deputy director-general from corporate services stepped down following the failed implementation of the OneSchool Student Protection Reporting module.
Education Minister Kate Jones announced that after a manual check of all 3822 OneSchool reports to child safety and police, 27 reports of suspected child abuse that should have been provided to Child Safety had not been received.
She said those reports were now with Child Safety.
Those reports are on top of the 644 reports of child sexual abuse concerns that did not make it police.
The department last week stood down two workers while internal and external reviews took place.
Ms Jones has requested the director-general to broaden Deloitte's independent investigation to examine all issues relating to the online student protection reporting system since its introduction in September 2013.
"The safety and wellbeing of Queensland's students is my number one priority and I am committed to ensuring the systems we have in place to report suspected child abuse protect our children," she said.
The system allowed principals who believed a parent or guardian was working in the best interest of a child they suspected was being abused, to report possible mistreatment to authorities through a computer program.
Although principals were receiving notifications the reports were being received, that was not always the case.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.