Cattle sell for $1088 at Biggenden weaner sale
EVEN with the market starting to ease with seasonal conditions quality weaners exceeded expectations and sold to an above average market at Biggenden last Wednesday.
Burnett Livestock and Realty's 2016 All Breeds Weaner sale had volume buyers scrambling to secure large lines of weaners.
A terrific yarding of 2687 head were drawn from Monto, Eidsvold, Mundubbera, Goomeri, Nanango, Tansey, Gympie, Miriam Vale, Yandaran, Hervey Bay and all local areas.
Eidsvold's Barry Whitaker added to his cache of prizes, winning his first calf cradle for his champion pen of charbray weaners.
Mr Whitaker said this was his first calf cradle but in the past had won two of the big crushes and four Engel fridges.
His recipe for producing winning pens was simple.
"I have good cows and good bulls, and then the paddock looks after me," he said.
His winning pen came from his Calgoa property.
A&A Trigger Grazing Trust took out the brahman pen for the third year.
"We must be doing something right," Ashley Trigger said.
Burnett Livestock & Realty's Lance Whitaker congratulated producers whom he said were producing better and better cattle.
"This is all due to a better season, genetics and cross breeding," he said.
"This makes our job easier and puts money in your pockets."
Sponsors Bendigo Bank is a success story themselves in the region.
Their Gin Gin Community Branch manager Robert Atherton said the bank had undertaken $100 million business in this region.
Breed class winners
- Santa Gertrudis or Santa Gertrudis Infused
- Lance Baker, Gayndah Droughtmaster or Droughtmaster Infused
- SW & LE Tincknell, Bundaberg Brangus or Brangus Infused
- ED Jensen, Mt Perry Brahman or Brahman Infused
- A & A Trigger Grazing Trust, Biggenden Simmental or Simmental Infused
- RJ & KJ Preston, Eidsvold Charbray or Charbray Infused
- BS & C Whitaker, Eidsvold Champion pen
- BS & C Whitaker, Eidsvold