Confusion surfaces over dementia funding
CONFUSION surrounding funding for dementia sufferers and their carers has surfaced after Mackay failed to be included in State Government funding.
On Sunday the government released a statement allocating $20 million to community-based organisations which provide respite care for those with dementia. It listed seven organisations across 25 locations, including Townsville, that would benefit but Mackay wasn't included.
The funding will enable respite service hours to be extended and will be rolled out over the next three years.
Announcing the funding, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Minister Cameron Dick said it was to support Queensland seniors and address the needs of carers.
"Our government recognises the need for carers to be able to access extended hours of respite, because extra respite frees up our thousands of carers so they can work, volunteer, or train to boost their skills and employment prospects," Ms Palaszczuk said.
A spokesman for Mr Dick said, contrary to the press release which had outlined and listed specific groups, funding "had only just been allocated and there was no list of who would receive specific funding".
Member for Mackay Julieanne Gilbert was also confused as to where the funding had been allocated and concerned why recipient groups would not deliver funding to their Mackay branches.
Ozcare confirmed yesterday their Mackay respite service had not received funding.