Electrocuted Perth girl’s family gets act of grace payment
THE family of an 11-year-old girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury after a severe electric shock at a public housing property will receive an act of grace payment from the West Australian government.
Denishar Woods was shocked with up to 230 volts when she touched a garden tap at a Beldon property in March and her family is pursuing legal action against the state.
The act of grace payment will be used to buy a specially-modified vehicle costing up to $100,000 that will allow Denishar to be easily transported in a wheelchair.
The incident remains under investigation by the Building and Energy Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
The family was provided with alternative accommodation and the Department of Communities has overseen modifications to the property to ensure it suits Denishar's needs.
Her mother Lacey Harrison told AAP on Wednesday that the family was waiting for the findings from the investigation, but had not ruled out taking the government to court if required.
The mother-of-seven said the house provided to her family had only four bedrooms and one bathroom, which left them down one bedroom and one bathroom.
"I'm not ungrateful for what they've done … but we are overcrowded," she said.
"The act of grace payment is great and all but there's still a big cost of living."
Housing Minister Peter Tinley conceded it was unfortunate but unavoidable that sometimes due processes did not progress quickly enough.
"I can only reiterate that the state government will get to the bottom of this incident, identify its causes and, wherever possible, prevent it happening again," he said.