‘Hands are tied’: Monto RSL cancels all Anzac Day plans
FOR the first time in the sub-branch's history, Monto's RSL won't be part of any Anzac Day commemoration this year.
Social distancing and public gathering restrictions have deterred the club from organising any alternative arrangements for April 25.
Monto RSL Sub-Branch president David Watson said they were instructed by RSL Queensland not to hold a service of any kind.
"You could even be fined for laying the wreath on the cenotaph since it isn't essential business," Mr Watson said.
"There'll be no march, or Last Post, so it'll be very quiet this year."
Each year the Monto community normally pays its respects at a dawn service held at the cenotaph before a shotgun breakfast at 6am.
A march and community service is then held at 10am, before activities take place back at the sub-branch.
But Mr Watson said all activities had been cancelled to comply with government regulations.
"RSL Queensland recommended that we don't do anything due to liability worries," he said.
"It's the biggest day for us, and there's nothing we can do.
"Our hands are tied."
Communities across Queensland are being encouraged to instead light up the dawn by standing on their driveways at 6am to honour our Anzacs.
Mr Watson is encouraging those in the town to honour our soldiers, past and present, in their own way this year.
"We have some members leaving a wreath on their letter box, but people can commemorate whatever way they want to privately," Mr Watson said.
"We're looking to do something later on for Remembrance Day, perhaps make it bigger this year by combining the two."