'It's bittersweet': Campdraft postponed after heavy rain
DISAPPOINTMENT fell over Mundubbera Campdraft Committee's volunteers this morning as they made the call to postpone their 2019 Golden Stirrup Campdraft, scheduled for today and tomorrow.
For months they have worked tirelessly, against the odds, to gather sponsors and donors for the event, while many themselves were battling drought conditions on their properties.
In what campdraft coordinator Fiona Radke describes as "bittersweet" fate, the North Burnett saw several storms sweep the region this week bringing the first decent rain in months.
And the showgrounds were too wet for the campdraft to go ahead.
"As a committee we're feeling really disappointed that we had to make the call, but it was the right decision," Mrs Radke said.
"It's not safe for horses and cattle to bog down in that soil.
"Black soil absorbs moisture and as it starts to dry it becomes really slippery."
Although saddened that this weekend's events couldn't go ahead, Mrs Radke said it "so happily rained" which was amazing news for producers.
"We would have scheduled the campdraft months ago if we knew it was going to bring rain to the region," she said.
"Everyone was ready for the campdraft and the grounds were looking amazing because they had been worked.
"But now that it's rained, the postponed campdraft will be even better."
Mrs Radke said the committee didn't want to hold off for long in giving back to the sponsors who had supported them, and the postponed campdraft will now be held on April 6 and 7.
The schedule will be the same and nominations carried over.
"We didn't want to schedule the campdraft to fall on the same date as any other community events," Mrs Radke said.
"But we want to give that exposure back to our sponsors as soon as we can so we've got to crack on."
For those unable attend the new date, they can contact Fiona Radke for a full refund on 0408705566 or 0741658182.