News

Julian’s dad arrives in Barcelona

Julian Cadman, 7, who is missing in Barcelona after the attack. Picture: Facebook
Julian Cadman, 7, who is missing in Barcelona after the attack. Picture: Facebook

JULIAN Cadman's father has arrived in Barcelona and visited a facility where victims are being identified as hopes fade for his son.

Andrew Cadman touched down at Barcelona Airport about 5.45pm (1:45am AEST) and was taken to the justice centre, a forensic facility where the victims of the attack are being identified.

There has been no official word on the whereabouts of his son Julian, 7, who was on Las Ramblas with his mother Jumarie when an Islamic State terrorist driving a van smashed through crowds on Thursday afternoon.

Jumarie, known as Jom, remains in a serious condition at the Vell d'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona.

Mr Cadman, from Sydney, arrived at the hospital after visiting the justice centre.

He is expected to spend the night at the hospital and has been offered psychological support.

A spokesman for the Vell d'Hebron said the family did not wish to make a public comment at this stage.

Family members are accompanying Mr Cadman and he was met by Australian consular officials after his long flight from Sydney.

A photo of Julian Cadman taken in Barcelona prior to the terror attack.
A photo of Julian Cadman taken in Barcelona prior to the terror attack.

It comes as Catalan police issued a statement to quell widely-published false media reports that Julian had been "found alive'' in a hospital in Barcelona.

"Neither we were searching nor we have found any lost child in the Barcelona attack,'' police tweeted in English at 3pm Barcelona time. "All the victims and injured have been located.''

Twin terror attacks on Thursday claimed the lives of 14 people - 13 who were run down on Las Ramblas and another woman stabbed to death in the seaside town of Cambrils. More than 130 people were injured.

olice shot dead the five terrorists at Cambrils.

A gang of 12 terrorists is believed to be responsible and at least one - believed to be the van driver - remains on the run.

The Civil Safety Agency of Catalan said an eighth victim - a Portuguese citizen - had now been identified.

The agency said 50 people remained in hospitals around Barcelona, of which 12 remain in a critical condition.

Another 24 have serious injuries, while 11 are less seriously injured and three have minor injuries.

The injured include people from 22 nations - including two from Australia - Ms Cadman, and another Australian woman being treated at a second hospital.

THE HERO WHO HELPED JULIAN'S MUM

A Muslim man who comforted Julian's mother has told how she ignored the pain from her broken legs and begged for information on her missing son, Julian.

Fouad Bakkali, a pharmacist, comforted and helped Ms Cadman as she lay on the floor of his shop, reassuring her Julian, 7, would be okay.

The little boy, a dual British-Australian national who has lived in Sydney for the past three years.

Mr Bakkali said he was working in the pharmacy at Las Ramblas and was behind the counter when he heard a loud crash and screaming people began to run into the shop.

Within minutes, a police officer carried a seriously-injured woman in his arms into the pharmacy and placed her on the floor, alongside another injured woman.

"I was with the mother, the Australian mother, until the doctor came,'' Mr Bakkali confirmed to News Corp yesterday.

"I was at her side helping her, telling her, 'be calm, don't worry.''

He said Ms Cadman appeared to be suffering two broken legs, a back injury and had a large wound on her head.

However, she ignored the pain and pleaded for information about her little boy, who had travelled to Spain with her as she attended a friend's wedding.

"She was asking all the time about her little boy. She asked me 'where is my son'. She told me he was seven years old,'' a distressed Mr Bakkali recalled.

"Her second name was Cadman.

"I told her,' he is good, it will be OK'.''

Mr Bakkali took his white pharmacist's tunic off and covered Ms Cadman with it, and pulled down the roller-doors, locking up his shop with about 50 terrified tourists inside.

"I helped to keep her breathing until the doctor's came,'' he said.

Paramedics came after some time and took Ms Cadman and the other woman to hospital.

The Civil Safety Agency of Catalan confirmed to News Corp that Ms Cadman was injured and was being treated in a local hospital.

MAN FINDS YOUNG BOY NEARBY

Horrifying photographs taken in the seconds after the attack show a child, believed to be little Julian, lying in the middle of Las Ramblas near the pharmacy, while a woman believed to be his mother lies on her back nearby.

A smashed child's scooter is nearby.

A man, identified by the UK Mirror as Birmingham tourist Harry Athwal, is leaning over the child trying to render first aid.

"I was stroking his hair and in floods of tears but I stayed with him, I sat there because I was not going to leave this child in the middle of the road," Mr Athwal told The Mirror.

"To me, he looked like my own son. He was my son's age, seven or eight. I just ran my hands through his hair, it was about comforting him."

Mr Bakkali came to Spain from Morocco 10 years ago and said, as a Muslim, he had always found Barcelona a wonderful place to live.

"It's like a big multi nations,'' he said of the bustling Spanish city.

"There is no problem here, we all love each other.

"The people who do this, they are other people, radical people.

"I work here with Christian people and I love to work with them.''

He said a number of Muslim tourists were injured in the attack, while other sought shelter in the pharmacy.

JIHADIS' EVIL BOMB PLOT GOES WRONG

A terror cell of 12 Islamist terrorists is believed to be behind Thursday's deadly attacks in Spain, as police reveal the jihadis had been planning an even worse atrocity with a truck packed with explosives.

One suspected terrorist, Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, believed to be the driver of the van, remains on the loose, with five shot dead by police and four arrested.

Police confirmed the explosion on Wednesday in the town of Alcanar that killed one person and tore a house apart had prevented the terrorists from loading a vehicle with explosives to cause even greater carnage.

There are also unconfirmed reports the men tried to rent a large truck to inflict maximum damage, but changed to two smaller vans after they were refused permission to rent a heavy vehicle because they did not have the correct driver's licence.

Thirteen people died when a van slammed into crowds on the iconic pedestrian street Las Ramblas in Barcelona on Thursday evening, while one woman died after being stabbed when a group of five terrorists attacked pedestrians in the coastal town of Cambrils eight hours later.

Five terrorists were shot dead in Cambrils, including four apparently shot down by a single policewoman.

Police believe it is possible the driver of the Barcelona attack was among the group which drove an Audi A3 into a crowd in Cambrils before attacking their victims with knives, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais. He has not been identified.

Catalan regional police chief Josep Lluis Trapero said the "the investigation points in the direction'' of the van driver being involved in the second attack at Cambrils.

A nest of up to 12 evil jihadis is thought to have planned and carried out the attacks in Spain - the worst Islamist attacks since 2004 - with police piecing together the movements of a group of men, many of whom come from Morocco.

As well as the 14 dead, more than 130 people were injured.

Major Trapero said none of the men killed at Cambrils had prior convictions for terrorism offences, or were on terror watchlists.

Of the five dead men, who were wearing fake suicide belts, four have been identified. Three are from Morocco in northern Africa while once is a Spanish citizen.

Major Trapero said the attacks could have been much worse if gas canisters being prepared for the attacks had not been accidentally detonated at Alcanar 24 hours earlier.

"They were preparing one of several attacks in Barcelona and an explosion in Alcanar stopped this as they no longer had the material they needed to commit attacks of an even bigger scope,'' he told the media.

There has been no official word on the whereabouts of his son Julian, 7, who was on Las Ramblas with his mother Jumarie when an Islamic State terrorist driving a van smashed through crowds on Thursday afternoon.

Jumarie, known as Jom, remains in a serious condition at the Vell d'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona.

Topics:  editors picks julian cadman spain terror attack

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Cyclone Debbie leaves Burnett at greater fire risk

HIGH RISK: Weather conditions have combined to worsen fire risks.

People need to be prepared now for bushfire alert.

Black spots covered

OPEN COMMUNICATION: The regional black spot tower at Mulgildie has gone live.

Black spot towers active in North Burnett.

Life member bids farewell to golf club

SEE YOU LATER: Wal and Noela Wilkes receive a parting gift from the Monto Golf Club.

Club farewells life member.

Local Partners