Monto’s wartime role documented through film
BOB Bryan's father was 17 years and fourth months when he enlisted in the First World War despite his age showing as 20 on the nominal roll.
It was facts like these Mr Bryan was honoured to share about Edward James Bryan, more commonly known as Teddy, when he was interviewed by a camera crew for a documentary project.
Local Voices, Living Stories: Monto Remembers produced by Sarah Scragg Productions will tell the stories of six men who served the country and came to call Monto home.
"I thought it was a great idea because if the information wasn't shared, it would be lost and its a great time for my dad to get battle recognition," Mr Bryan said.
"With my daughter, we have been reading about the horrors of the 1940s, and its just something unimaginable."
Landing at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915, Teddy returned to Australia by ship in September of 1918.
Part of the filming was done at Teddy's grave in the Monto Cemetery.
Sarah Scragg has already interviewed all descendents of the men for the five mini documentaries series.
"Many people we interviewed had a very close connection to the people we were focussing on, and often talked about the character or what they remembered most about the person that brought on their fond memories and emotions," she said.
"Often I have found with these sorts of films and interviews, is when the person being interviewed has been doing research leading up to the interview and they find out things they never knew before, or have read diaries they have never really looked at before, that they feel they wish they could have done more for their parents or grandparent now that they understand more of what they had been through."
Wartime, life, and post-war experiences of the men will be explored in the film. The project was made possible through Queensland Anzac Centenary Grants Program.
It will premiere at Monto Community Hall on April 16 at 2pm.