'Move cars undercover': BOM issues storm warning
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for the Burnett with damaging winds, heavy rainfall and large hailstones forecast.
The Bureau of Meteorology issued the warning just after 3pm, saying a thunderstorm would continue to develop near and north of Gayndah.
Wind gusts of 91 km/h were recorded at Gayndah Airport at 2:51pm.
"Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours,” BOM said.
"Locations which may be affected include Monto, Baralaba, Woorabinda, Moura, Eidsvold and Gin Gin.”
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advised that people:
- Move cars under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.