SHOOTING: Monto Rifle Club is back in action after a four-month hiatus, with new works under way.
The club took a break between January 8 and April 30 while the firing rights needed to be updated with Queensland Parks and Wildlife.
Though firing rights have not been settled yet, club secretary Helen Schimke said the paperwork had been finalised and the club had been given permission to use the range again.
"Once we get our firing rights through, we'll get onto the police for a range inspection and get a range approval,” Schimke said.
"Because we have signed our firing rights, they've given us permission to use.”
At 8am on Sunday May 14, club members arrived to begin putting up the frame for a fourth target on the 500 yard range.
Thanks to a grant from Queensland Rifle Association, the club will be able to move shooters through at a quicker pace.
The grant will also go toward work on the club toilets and extending the shed.
A number of shooters who turned up on Sunday hadn't shot since January or longer, so the day was mostly about getting back into practice on a Double 500 yard Range shoot.
Club member Victor Christie was still relatively new to the club when it went on hiatus, but is a keen shooter.
"I've only shot half a dozen times since I started, I don't think I've shot from the 500 before,” Christie said.
"I've always loved shooting and I live in town now, so thought I might as well give myself a hobby, keep in touch and meet new people.”
The new target is expected to be up and ready for the club sweepstakes shoot, set to take place on the second weekend of July.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.