Porsche may drive away from Sonia Kruger after Muslim call

SONIA Kruger's call for Australia to close its doors to Muslim immigrants could prove very costly as Porsche reconsiders its support of the The Voice host.

"Personally I would like to see it (the immigration of Muslims) stopped now for Australia because I would like to feel safe as all of our citizens do when they go out to celebrate Australia Day," Kruger told the Today show on Monday.

She made the comment out of "fear" after last week's deadly Nice terror attack in which Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, described by Isil as a "soldier of Islam", killed 84 people during French Bastille Day celebrations.

Kruger, who also hosts Nine's Today Extra, appears in advertising campaigns for Target, Porsche and Swisse.

Porsche spokesman Paul Ellis told News Ltd that Kruger's comment did not align with his company's "values" and the company was "assessing" its relationship with her.

"The unfortunate comments Sonia made are not in line with Porsche's values in Australia, or our values globally," Mr Ellis said.

"We will take the situation into consideration and assess our relationship with Sonia, and what we may do about it.

"Let me be clear though, we don't support her comments."

The Nine Network has not responded to Kruger's statement but some media outlets reported yesterday that the other television networks had told their stars to not issue public declarations of support for her.

Meanwhile, a petition calling for Kruger to be sacked is doing the rounds.

The SACK SONIA KRUGER - Muslims are Welcome petition to the Nine Network has more than 4700 signatures.

"It is commentators like Kruger, whose words aim to sow division and hate, that cause harm," Sydney resident Amy Thomas said in the petition description.

"By allowing Kruger to get away with comments like this, we are allowing racist hatred to become acceptable. The Nine Network must take a stand and sack Sonia." - ARM NEWSDESK

Topics:  bastille day editors picks immigration muslim porsche sonia kruger terror

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Showgrounds set for major upgrade

Committee member Barry Wait was thrilled to hear the news about the grant to upgrade the showgrounds.

Monto Showgrounds will receive a $35,00 upgrade to the cattle yards.

Goondicum mine on track to reopen

ECONOMIC BOOST: A price crash in 2015 brought to a halt ilmenite mining, but it will resume in Monto by the end of the year.

Goondicum mine is on track to reopen by the end of the year.

Riders prepare for another campdraft

READ THE BEAST: Eidsvold's Ben Wheller gives his all at the Proston campdraft.

The annual Eidsvold Golden Bell campdraft returns.

Local Partners