ISOLATED: The crossing out at Rawbelle was washed away in Saturday night's rain, leaving several families cut off.
ISOLATED: The crossing out at Rawbelle was washed away in Saturday night's rain, leaving several families cut off. Contributed

Rawbelle residents cut off after rain wrecks makeshift crossing

UPDATE: News of state government funding for the Percy Hindmarsh bridge replacement will come as a welcome relief to Rawbelle residents now that the temporary crossing has been washed away.

As of Monday, Rawbelle station manager Ashleigh Kerr did some work on the crossing with his tractor allow easier passage for four-wheel drives.

This was done to assist Kristie Bargenquast with driving her sick child into town.

"We already had a rock base underneath, so it was just a matter of brushing some dirt up with the tractor to help get them over,” Mr Kerr said.

"We're helping each other out, there's not much else that can be done while the river's still rising.”

Council staff have been out to the property at least twice since the crossing went under, once to erect warning signs, and residents reported seeing them again a second time.

Previously

THE temporary river crossing set up by North Burnett Regional Council after the Percy Hindmarsh bridge was destroyed in Cyclone Debbie has been washed away.

Last night, the area was hit with about 66mm of rain, which overwhelmed the crossing and washed it away.

Jodie Kerr, whose property the crossing runs through, reported the flooding to North Burnett mayor Rachel Chambers via Facebook this morning.

Cr Chambers thanked Mrs Kerr for the report and assured her that she would get onto it.

"There's still water rushing through the catchment, the rain hasn't caused any damage to the bank, but it means we can't get over to the other side of the property to inspect the other gullies,” Mrs Kerr said.

Though the crossing loss was inconvenient, the Kerrs hadn't been affected too harshly by the flooding, as they were on the side of it which still had access to Monto and the highway.

Several other properties, including some with families will have to take massive detours of up to 100km to get to town without the crossing.

Farmer James Bargenquast said he and the others would need to rely on the help of their neighbours or take these detours to access town.

"For now there's not a lot we can do, the rushing water might come back up again if the rain persists,” Mr Bargenquast said.

The crossing was put in place roughly a month after the Percy Hindmarsh bridge was destroyed back in March.

According to residents, the temporary crossing was little more than a rock base with gravel going over it.

"I don't mind the rain, I just wish the crossing was better,” Mr Bargenquast said.

Being in such a low crossing area, the water simply washed the gravel bed away.


Labor backs cheaper water for farmers following LNP pledge

Premium Content Labor backs cheaper water for farmers following LNP pledge

Labor has made a commitment to cut the cost of irrigation for farmers, should it...

Premier announces NSW-QLD border decision

Premium Content Premier announces NSW-QLD border decision

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announces border decision

ELECTION: Nanango candidates outline their economic vision

Premium Content ELECTION: Nanango candidates outline their economic vision

This election, the economy has been one of the biggest issues in the minds of...