Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse
Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse Bev Lacey

School fire caused after gurney left to run dry

A GYMPIE school fire this morning caused light to medium smoke damage to a classroom, but could have been a lot worse, a Queensland Fire and Emergency Service officer said.

"We received a Triple-O call about 5.30am, telling us of a structural fire at Two Mile school," Acting Station Officer Andrew Goffin said.

"Officer saw light smoke coming from a classroom.

"A pressure cleaner had caught alight and molten plastic had set fire to the floor lining," he said.

Police said they also attended the blaze. It appeared the gurney had run dry and the motor had overheated, causing an electrical fire.

Mr Goffin said there was minor damage to the classroom floor only and light to medium smoke damage to the classroom.

Gympie Times

Woman tragically killed in crash east of Goomeri

Premium Content Woman tragically killed in crash east of Goomeri

The driver of the vehicle, a 58-year-old Veteran man, was injured

STORMS: When the North Burnett can expect more rain

Premium Content STORMS: When the North Burnett can expect more rain

Grab your umbrella and get a rain dance going – rain is coming to the region this...

AMAZING DEAL: Read it all for $3 a week for first 12 weeks

Premium Content AMAZING DEAL: Read it all for $3 a week for first 12 weeks

You get access to local and regional news and the Courier Mail