These are pics to be saved in for use by Jen Cooke in Friday's Coastlife section. All pics are taken (with permission) from the Department of Defence website. So, can we attribute them accordingly in the caption. Cheers. (All captions would be just...
These are pics to be saved in for use by Jen Cooke in Friday's Coastlife section. All pics are taken (with permission) from the Department of Defence website. So, can we attribute them accordingly in the caption. Cheers. (All captions would be just... "The HMAS Tobruk could be bound for the depths off Mooloolaba to become a dive attraction once it is decommissioned in 2012."

Tobruk bids open to all Queensland

THE bid to have the ex-HMAS Tobruk scuttled in Wide Bay waters has now been opened to all of Queensland.

It comes after Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed on Wednesday the state government would be involved in the tender process for the ex-military vessel.

The Wide Bay will be "carefully considered" as a potential dive wreck site alongside other options, which now include the Gold Coast, she said.

While the Regional Dive Wreck Advisory group has lobbied the federal government since August last year to gift the decommissioned ship to Queensland to create a military dive between Hervey Bay and Bundaberg, group member Scott Rowe said he now expected other contenders across the state to bid for the ship.

"We will have to fight hard and prove why we will do the vessel justice," Mr Rowe said.

"I guess money will talk."

The group called for the Premier to accept the ship in advance from the Federal Government after a decision by Minister for Defence Marise Payne earlier this month to gift it and the ex-HMAS Sydney to the states or territory.


Hartwig ‘relieved and excited’ Pumpkin Festival is a go

Premium Content Hartwig ‘relieved and excited’ Pumpkin Festival is a go

Festival brass last week said the future of this year’s event remained “murky”...

A whole new app experience coming your way

A whole new app experience coming your way

This is moving to a new home for a better digital experience

REVEALED: SBRC battles to slash alarming budget deficit

Premium Content REVEALED: SBRC battles to slash alarming budget deficit

‘Challenging times’: Mayor Brett Otto has expressed concern the South Burnett may...