Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews was critical of the New Zealanders being allowed to slip into the state. Picture: David Geraghty/NCA NewsWire
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews was critical of the New Zealanders being allowed to slip into the state. Picture: David Geraghty/NCA NewsWire

Travel bubble: ‘Things have gone wrong’

Incoming flights to Melbourne will be closely monitored as health officials catch up with 55 of the 65 New Zealanders who entered Victoria last week.

In a statement the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) assured that the travellers contacted were aware of the state's delicate coronavirus predicament.

"The travellers, some in family groups and most staying in private homes, were provided with information about COVID-19 and the current Victorian health directions," it said.

"Three of the travellers did not cross the border into Victoria and remain in NSW, and one who was in Victoria returned to NSW today.

"Twenty-one of the 55 travellers arrived at Melbourne Airport on Friday and Saturday. The remainder arrived using other modes of transport.

"DHHS authorised officers continue to meet incoming flights at Melbourne Airport and provide information to arriving passengers."

The travellers, 10 of whom are yet to be contacted, entered Victoria after flying into NSW as part of the new travel bubble deal between Australia and New Zealand.

But the Victorian Premier hit out at the commonwealth over the slip-up.

"We don't want anything at all to undermine the amazing job that Victorians have done and are doing," he said.

"Some things have gone wrong here.

"We are very much at the end of that, not necessarily part of it. We made it clear that we didn't want to be part - could not be part of the bubble arrangements at this point."

The passengers who flew into Sydney did not need to enter hotel quarantine under the new trans-Tasman travel bubble arrangements.

Under the deal between the two nations, New Zealanders are permitted to travel quarantine-free into both NSW and the Northern Territory under the proviso they've not been in a COVID-19 hot spot in the 14 days leading up to their travel.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack told ABC Breakfast on Monday that the bottom line was that "they are healthy New Zealanders".

"The trans-Tasman bubble is the first in what we need to do to reopen our nation," Mr McCormack said.

"We're repatriating Australians as well."


Man faces 30-year-old drug charge before Kingaroy Court

Premium Content Man faces 30-year-old drug charge before Kingaroy Court

A DRUG offence committed in 1990 has come back to bite a man, who stood before...

Crippling Chinese tariffs spark fears for South Burnett wine

Premium Content Crippling Chinese tariffs spark fears for South Burnett wine

WITH wineries central to tourism in the South Burnett, new Chinese tariffs could...

OPINION: Why we need to talk about mental health

Premium Content OPINION: Why we need to talk about mental health

THIS week the South Burnett Times will be launching a mental health...