Unattended candle almost burns down family home

A CANDLE almost destroyed a family's home in Scarness.

The smoke detectors inside the unit were not working when the flame fire broke out Saturday night.

Torquay Fire Station acting station officer Malcolm McKay said nobody was hurt, but the situation could have been worse.

"People need to ensure they have working smoke alarms, and not leave candles unattended," Mr McKay said.

"Had the smoke detectors been working in this situation, it would have notified the family of the flame when it was still reasonably small."

Minor damage was caused to the unit's interior.


Increased fire danger across the Central and North Burnett

Premium Content Increased fire danger across the Central and North Burnett

The QFES area director for the Burnett has warned of increased fire risk across the...

Burnett mum calls principal ‘f--king bitch’, police called

Premium Content Burnett mum calls principal ‘f--king bitch’, police called

A South Burnett mum has been placed on a good behaviour bond after lashing out at a...

Police on hunt for three after Kingaroy bottle shop break in

Premium Content Police on hunt for three after Kingaroy bottle shop break in

Have you seen these men? Police are seeking public assistance with two break and...