NEW SYSTEM: Eidsvold waste management facility, alongside three other North Burnett tips, will be converted to waste transfer stations.
NEW SYSTEM: Eidsvold waste management facility, alongside three other North Burnett tips, will be converted to waste transfer stations. NBRC

Upgrades to council's waste facilities to improve services

NORTH Burnett Regional Council will convert four waste management facilities in the region to waste transfer stations with the assistance of a $571,500.60 grant from the State Government.

The Biggenden, Eidsvold, Gayndah and Monto facilities will all be converted to transfer stations, where waste will be collected, sorted and sent to Mundubbera for processing.

Council said this would assist it in protecting surface and underground water, minimise wind-blown litter and improve service delivery.

The State Government's Local Government Grants and Subsidies Program money will find 60 per cent of the project costs, while the other 40 per cent will be funded by the council.

Works are estimated to start in early July, with a completion date of July 2021.

The community will be notified when onsite works are due to begin.

The waste management facilities will continue to operate during the preparation of the site.

According to the Wide Bay Burnett Regional Organisation of Councils' Regional Waste Strategy, waste transfer stations "consolidate smaller loads into larger more efficient loads for transfer off-site, provide safe and more environmentally acceptable customer interface, provide facilities for the collection of reusable and recyclable items, and provide a permanent waste disposal site”.

The council also recently received a State Government grant of $404,388 under the Local Government Levy Ready Grant Program to upgrade the Mundubbera waste management facility by installing a new weighbridge and gatehouse.

The introduction of a waste levy in Queensland from July 1 has prompted this flurry of activity.


Council confirms Coomba Falls safety decision after deaths

Premium Content Council confirms Coomba Falls safety decision after deaths

REVEALED: Here’s what a coroner’s enquiry into a death at Coomba Falls had to say...

Detectives bust Murgon man after alleged stealing spree

Premium Content Detectives bust Murgon man after alleged stealing spree

A Murgon man has been remanded in custody, to appear in Murgon Magistrates Court...

‘They don’t want you’: 8 trespasses land Murgon man in court

Premium Content ‘They don’t want you’: 8 trespasses land Murgon man in court

Life ban from Murgon IGA wasn’t going to stop Jordan Watson