Woman's cat poisoned by common household item

A pet owner has issued an urgent warning online, after her pet cat was poisoned by coming into contact with a small amount of laundry liquid.

The woman said she'd sprayed the Canesten Laundry liquid on a scratching tower, and woke up to find the cat "salivating".

The antibacterial and antifungal laundry liquid contains Benzalkonium Chloride, which is harmful to cats.

"This is harmful to cats, as I learned the hard way today," the woman wrote in a post on Facebook.

"Woke up this morning having found one of my girls salivating after I had lightly sprayed this liquid on a cat tower last night," she said.

Her cat was taken to a cat hospital, which she called an expensive and dangerous "mistake".

 

Benzalkonium Chloride is a relatively common ingredient in household cleaning products. If ingested, cats can experience hypersalivation, ulcers in their mouth, hyperthermia, a loss of appetite and lethargy.

High doses can lead to the cat experiencing tissue damage. If treated, a cat can recover within four days. The first sign of poisoning is excessive salivating.

Cats can also experience problems when they get the chemical on their coats and feet. If this occurs, Ark Vets recommends stopping the cat from grooming itself and bathing the cat to remove traces of the chemical.


Where to commemorate ANZAC Day 2021 in the North Burnett

Premium Content Where to commemorate ANZAC Day 2021 in the North Burnett

FULL LIST: See where to honour our brave servicemen and women in the North Burnett...

Drink driver busted after hitting parked car, driving off

Premium Content Drink driver busted after hitting parked car, driving off

A North Burnett woman was busted 3x the legal alcohol limit after hitting a parked...

Former cricket star to launch 2021 Relay for Life Campaign

Premium Content Former cricket star to launch 2021 Relay for Life Campaign

The South Burnett Relay for Life 2021 campaign is set to launch this week with the...