A South Burnett man landed himself in court after spitting in his ex-partners face and attacking her on two occasions. File Photo.
A South Burnett man landed himself in court after spitting in his ex-partners face and attacking her on two occasions. File Photo.

Women struck after denying ex-partner food, kicked in face

AFTER his request for a snack was denied, a South Burnett man slapped his ex-partner in the face and forced entry into her home, a court heard.

The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared before Nanango Magistrates Court to enter a plea of guilty to two counts of contravening a police protection order.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Pepe Gangemi said the defendant had been served a police protection initiative on October 13, 2019, which stated the defendant was not allowed to go within 100 metres of the aggrieved or her home.

He was first charged with contravening the order a month later on November 25, when police attended the victim's property after a neighbour called the police, informing officers they'd heard a man and woman screaming.

According to Sgt Gangemi, the aggrieved told officers that while she was making dinner, an escalating argument had resulted in the defendant calling her a slut and spitting in her face. She went to the bedroom, followed by the defendant, and hit him with a "small piece of wood".

He then "launched his foot upward and kicked the aggrieved on the side of the face."

On May 12, 2020, the defendant attended the home of the aggrieved once again, under the condition he leave as soon as they'd finished watching a movie.

"After the movie finished he refused to leave and asked the aggrieved to give him food," Sgt Gangemi said.

"She said no, he got angry. They went outside to have an argument and the defendant slapped the aggrieved on her face."

"The aggrieved and the children went back inside the house and locked the door. He's forced entry into the house and thrown a rock."

Sgt Gangemi said this is the eighth time the defendant has faced charges for similar offending.

The defendant's lawyer, Thomas Carr, said the offending was the result of an ongoing dispute between his client and the aggrieved regarding money and his visitation right to their children.

"He regrets what was said and done, and now has a better arrangement with the children." he said.

Magistrate Andrew Sinclair said while prison would be an appropriate sentence, he would place more weight on the defendant's rehabilitation.

"As you heard the prosecutor say, it's well within range for a period of imprisonment to be imposed where a domestic violence order is breached multiple times and there's any use of actionary force, including the spitting," Magistrate Sinclair said.

"But I'm going to place greater weight on rehabilitating you, because you've got the rest of your life to live - and lead it in a way that enables you to have a proper relationship with other people and treat them in a proper way."

Magistrate Sinclair released the defendant on a period of 18 months probation, at a sum of $500.

Convictions were recorded.

South Burnett

What an inland Bruce Hwy would mean for our region and city

Premium Content What an inland Bruce Hwy would mean for our region and city

A BILLION dollar project could result in 50% of trucks taken off the Bruce Hwy...

WARNING: 12 common scams to watch out for this Christmas

Premium Content WARNING: 12 common scams to watch out for this Christmas

TIS the season for online scams in the Burnett region, so keep your eyes peeled for...