Your guide to the Biggenden Rose Festival
BIGGENDEN'S rose to mark the revival of the Biggenden Apex Rose Festival has now taken pride of place in the Edward St rose gardens.
Sculpted by Biggenden's Craig Nelson through RADF funding, its unveiling will be around 12.30pm following the festival parade on Saturday.
A small, enthusiastic committee has worked tirelessly to bring back its biennial event to its community.
A three day program of events will start tomorrow with the district school children taking part in novelty events at the Biggenden State School.
At night at the wine and cheese evening at the show hall, the Rose Queen, Charity Queen and Miss Personality will be sashed by the last Rose Festival Queen of 1999, Natasha Berrie (nee Hebblewhite).
Tickets at $10 each are available from The Den or at the door on the night.
Dresses from former queens and entrants dating back to 1969 will be on display.
While waiting for the announcement of the winners, patrons will be able to browse the work of the region's talented artists.
Saturday starts bright and early with a program set to thrill every family member.
There will be pig races, numerous food and market stalls, novelty events for the children, wagon rides, scenic flights, nail driving, fashion parade by Deb's Country Outfitters, raffles, buskers, live entertainment with Classic Creedence late into the night and fireworks.
A parade of floats with the Rose Festival entrants on board will get under way at 11am.
From all reports it is something not to miss.
Anyone wanting to be part of the dog jumping are asked to be outside Ag Traders at 3.30pm.
The rose and flower show in the QCWA Rooms will be open after the 9am judging.
The recent windy and hot weather hasn't been kind to the roses but the roses in the Edward St gardens are looking a picture for all the budding photographers.
Saturday entertainment schedule
- 8.30am: Rose and Flower Show. Entries by 8:30am, 9am judging, at Biggenden CWA Hall, all day viewing.
- 9am: Official opening of markets and food stalls going until late night
- 9am: Start of kids rides, family fun all day, buskers and more
- 10am: Pig racing - First race 10am, every 2 hours, last show 6pm - near Commercial Hotel.
- 10.30am: Novelty Events
- 11am: Rose Festival Parade Theme 'Back to 1967' - Victoria St start via Edward St with Saleyard Rd terminus followed by unveiling of Biggenden Rose and fashion parade by Deb's Country Outfitters.
- Noon: Pub(s) extend their alcohol zones for the rest of the day and night
- Noon: Live street music
- 4pm: Dog jumping competition near Ag Traders - register with Justy by 3:30pm, starting 4pm.
- 6pm: Live music - Classic Credence, The one and only true Australian tribute to the classic hits of Creedence Clearwater Revival live
- 7.30pm: Aerial fireworks display - KC's sponsors the most ridiculous aerial fireworks ever seen in Biggenden.
- 8pm: Live music - Highway 9
- 9pm: Live music - Classic Creedence, market and food stalls continue till late